Beautiful world map, 76''x44'' / 194cmx112cm, Dragon tail finials, Iron plaque Hic Svnt Dracones
Map is sold, please contact us for custom order!
- Overall size 76'' x 44'' / 194cm x 112cm
- world in 16th century: a large and extensive southern continent is shown and labeled “Terra Incognita”. Author Forlani has populated the unknown southern land mass with imaginary topographical features as well as unlikely animals – among them a camel, an elephant, a lion, a rhinoceros and most outlandish, a griffin and a unicorn.
- Each map detail is comfortably readable.
- Beautiful colors!
- High resolution map with hand made antique finish on durable cotton canvas.
Wooden pull down frame is hand made of over 200 years old oak, including iron hangers and rusty iron plate with an old latin expresion HIC SVNT DRACONES - in other words HERE BE MONSTERS or THERE BE DRAGONS. It means dangerous or unexplored territories, in imitation of a supposed medieval practice of putting dragons, sea serpents and other mythological creatures in uncharted areas of maps.
- Hand-carved antique dragon tail finials at the bottom antique wooden bar.
- Wood has matte feel, dark chocolate color.
- Hand forged iron nails & hangers
- Left&right vertical edges are accurately distorted, really original feel
The colorful content (ships, monsters) of the map always attracts attention of your guests, visitors...a true conversation starter.